In 1948, harbor officials authorized plans to rebuild Berths 153 and 154 with a more modern design. The plans called for a combined state-of-the-art passenger and cargo terminal, including facilities for passengers, baggage, and U.S. Customs inspection. Two transit sheds, wharves, and rail facilities were constructed. The Port awarded additional contracts for the manufacture and construction of the concrete pilings and bulkhead walls. In rebuilding Berths 153 and 154 and renovating Berth 155, the Port spent close to $5,000,000.
Construction at Berths 151-157 continued through 1950. For example, the timber apron wharf at Berth 155 was widened to line up with the new wharf at Berths 153 and 154. The original apron wharf at Berth 155 was wide enough for only a single railroad track.
Reconstructed ramp at Berth 151
With its modernization complete, Berths 151-157 continued to represent a valuable terminal for the Port. The terminal conveniently featured fuel, oil, and fresh water outlets near or under the docks and could provide bunkering at a rate of 2,200 barrels of fuel per hour. Additional tanks for latex storage were installed at Berth 155A for its tenant, the Firestone Rubber Company.
Overview of Berths 150-151
Berths 155-157 was a hub of passenger liner transportation until the early 1960s. With the advent of jet travel, vacationers began choosing to fly to their destinations. Passenger travel by ship gradually declined and, over time, the use of Berths 151-157 as a passenger terminal waned. A variety of tenants have occupied the berths over the subsequent years. Currently, Crescent Warehouse Company occupies Berth 153, Pacific Coast Fumigation, Inc., operates Berth 154, and the Port of Los Angeles operates Berths 155 and 155A. (View modern
photos of Berths 150-151.)